Saturday, January 7, 2012

Happy New Year!

I know it has been a long time since my last post! Sorry! You know what they say Life Happens! I hope that everyone had a Merry CHRISTmas and a Happy New Year! I promised that when my elderberries from the bulk herb store came in I would show you how to make homemade elderberry syrup for the upcoming cold and flu season. Well, here it is:
First,  you need to gather elderberries (I got mine at bulk herb store), a pot, water, and honey. ( I use raw honey.)
Next, put 1/2 cup dried elderberries and 3 cups water into a pot. Bring berries and water to a boil and simmer for about 30 minutes.


Next, mash berries and strain through a cheesecloth or a fine strainer.


Then stir in honey and pour into a jar. Store in the refrigerator for 3 months. This is how I take it and the way that Shoshanna at Bulk Herb Store suggested.

For a Child: 1 teaspoon daily
For a Adult: 1 Tablespoon daily.
(or hourly if sick.)

* Disclaimer: this is for informational purpose only. I am just sharing my thoughts and experiences. I am not a doctor. So as always check with your doctor before taking anything new! ;)

So here you have it! Easy huh?! My sister-in-law and I love this recipe! It is simple and effective. With the elderberries being sweetened with the honey it makes it taste good too. I use raw honey because it is better. It is unheated and unfiltered. It will be hard but melts easily. Hope you enjoy! Till next time hope you have a blessed day on your homestead!

No comments:

Post a Comment